CSA Membership: April - June 2020
COVID-19 UPDATE: While our brick & mortar is closed in support of social distancing, your CSA baskets will be delivered to your front porch. Deliveries will be handled with safety and care, and you will receive a text or email when your delivery has been made.
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Our members pay up front to help support their local farm, and then reap the benefits all season by receiving organically grown heirloom produce.
- April 7
- April 21
- May 5
- May 19
- June 2
- June 16
- The farm we partner with is W. D. Dickinson farm in National City.
- Members sign up by season. The upcoming season is January-March.
- CSA baskets can be picked up from Home Ec every 2 weeks, for 12 weeks. (6 CSA baskets total.) Baskets are available by 2pm through closing, which is 6pm.
- Each CSA basket includes 7-9 different freshly harvested vegetables, herbs, and fruit (as season permits,) as well as an edible bouquet and W.D. Dickinson Larder items.
- Quantities typically feed 2 heavy vegetable eaters for 2 weeks, or 4 average vegetable eaters for 2 weeks.
- Membership is $180 per season. (Works out to be $15/week.)
- Your membership also includes 2 farm tour tickets each month of the season. ( 6 total.)
- You will receive an email from Home Ec with each delivery which contains some recipes and cooking inspiration based on the produce in that week's basket.
Why you might want to become a CSA member:
- You'll become a member of your community farm. Becoming a CSA member means you join the farm! You invest in the farm and reap the benefits of their successes throughout the season, all while supporting your local community.
- You'll save money. Vegetables are often delivered in their whole form, rather than trimmed down for efficient shipping. You get more food for your buck. By purchasing directly from the farmer you also receive a better deal on organic veggies.
- You'll feel healthier. Being inundated with vegetables means you eat more of them. Studies show that eating more fruits and vegetables decreases blood pressure and the likelihood of heart disease and diabetes.
- You'll become a better cook. Sometimes your delivery will contain items you've never cooked (or maybe even eaten) before! (Kholrabi?) You will have to get creative. Work with an ever-wider range of ingredients that expand your skillset and even your palette.
The fine print:
- Should you miss your delivery, we will try to accommodate you by taking your basket home for the night and bringing it back the following day for you to pick up. If the basket is not picked up the following day it will be donated.
- Once the season has begun we are unable to cancel the membership. If you cannot finish out the season you can gift your membership to someone else, or let us know and we will have it donated.